Port Richmond is a neighborhood in Staten Island, NY, and is the most western of the three major sections on Staten Island with Great Kills being in the middle and Tottenville being to the east. Port Richmond is known for its many Irish bars, restaurants, bakeries, markets, and convenience stores along Port Richmond Avenue. Port Richmond was named by early Dutch settlers who described it as “a good port to embark into the island”.
Port Richmond is popularly known for its many Irish restaurants, but it also contains a number of Italian, German, Jewish, Polish, and English establishments.
In the 18th century, Staten Island was divided between Richmond County to the west and East Jersey to the east until 1733 when both West Jersey and East Jersey were reunited as one royal colony, New Jersey. The
Port Richmond is home to many different ethnicities.
In the late 1800s, Port Richmond was a major fishing community and became one of the busiest commercial waterfronts in New York Harbor. By mid-century, there were many factory-lined streets throughout the neighborhood. A notable sight along this street was the United Fruit Company warehouse where workers packed bananas for shipment to points all over America.
Historically, the neighborhood is a mix of blue-collar residents and professionals, who have been steadily replacing the older, more modest households.
In the mid-2000s, the neighborhood saw an influx of young urbanites looking to be close to Manhattan while still maintaining some semblance of suburban life.
Port Richmond is famous for its rowing club and the 300-meter “row house” lanes on its main artery, Port Richmond Avenue. These rowing clubs are still very active today hosting many community-centered activities throughout the year.
Port Richmond is also home to Golden Era Productions, a full-service film studio that produced several films such as Little Fugitive (1953), The Godfather (1972), and Betsy’s Wedding (1990). Golden Era Productions was founded by Willie Cicci, a movie producer who rose to prominence in the 1970s.
It also has St. Clement Church and St. Michael Church, which was founded in 1848 by German immigrants.
It also has the Mount Manresa Jesuit Retreat House at Snug Harbor which is part of the Staten Island Historical Society grounds. The retreat house was once a center for gardening instruction and horticultural research under the direction of botanist Dr. Charles Sprague Sargent of Harvard’s Arnold Arboretum.
Today, it is the site of many historical events and memorials that honor those who have lost their lives through wars, disasters, violence, and natural causes.
GO 4 Junk Removal Staten Island is located at 83 Meisner Ave, Staten Island, NY 10306. From Port Richmond, Head north on Bodine St toward Richmond Terrace, then take left onto Richmond Terrace, then take another left onto Clove Rd and Pass by Enterprise Rent-A-Car (on the right), now turn right onto Delafield Ave, Delafield Ave turns left and becomes Manor Rd, then slight left to stay on Manor Rd. After a mile, continue straight onto Meisner Ave. Thus, you’ve now arrived at your destination and it’s on the right.