Mariners Harbor is a neighborhood in Staten Island, NY, and is located in the easternmost section of Staten Island, along with Park Hill. It is bordered by Clifton to the north, New Brighton to the east, and Park Hill to the west.
Mariners Harbor is a predominantly residential neighborhood, with commercial operations along Bay Street. In addition to the standard housing options, Mariners Harbor has also been home to two public housing developments: Gowanus Houses and West Brighton Houses.
The Gowanus Houses were built in the early 1950s and were named after Fort Lafayette (originally called Fort Diamond). The houses are separated into five different clusters: A, B, C, D, and E.
The West Brighton Houses were built around 1970, on City-owned land that had been previously occupied by several commercial warehouses. The development consists of two-story townhouses and three-story garden apartment buildings.
Mariners Harbor has a rich history as an industrialized zone, with various factories and warehouses lining the shoreline. In fact, Mariners Harbor became a working-class neighborhood primarily due to its access to the water for commerce and shipping purposes.
The neighborhood is named after Fort Lafayette (originally called Fort Diamond), which was built in 1824 near present-day West Brighton for the defense of New York Harbor. In later years, a resort was built near the fort, which became a major destination on Staten Island.
As demand for housing grew in the area, mostly due to increased immigration from Europe into Broome Street – a zone of workers – new homes were erected throughout the 1830s and 1940s, and eventually became known as Mariners Harbor.
Fort Lafayette was built in 1824 and later renamed Fort Diamond, for defense during the War of 1812. The fort is no longer standing, though remnants of the foundation can still be found.
The resort near Fort Diamond was known as Mount Loretto, and it contained a racetrack, casino, and hotel. It was abandoned in the 1870s, and much of the area has since become part of Gateway National Recreation Area, which was established in 1972.
The All Faiths Cemetery is located within Mariners Harbor on Shore Road/Richmond Terrace, and it is Staten Island’s only privately owned cemetery. It was established in 1849 and includes a Gothic Revival chapel, built in 1913. Among the notable individuals interred here are FDNY firefighter and 9/11 hero William Feehan, Staten Island boxer Frankie Campbell, and Revolutionary War patriot Thomas Dongan.
GO 4 Junk Removal Staten Island is located at 83 Meisner Ave, Staten Island, NY 10306. From Mariners Harbor, Head north on Coonley Ct toward Richmond Terrace, then take right onto Richmond Terrace. Now turn right onto Lake Ave, then turn left onto Walker St, then take another left onto Pulaski Ave, now turn right onto Hooker Pl and take the ramp onto Dr M.L.K. Jr Expy. Time to merge onto Dr M.L.K. Jr Expy, then use the left lane to take exit 11 for Victory Blvd, then merge onto Christopher Ln and turn left onto Victory Blvd, now turn right onto Gannon Ave S, now another right onto Willowbrook Rd and again right onto Forest Hill Rd. Time to take left onto Walcott Ave. Reaching soon, turn right onto Brielle Ave, turn left onto Rockland Ave. After a half mile, take right onto Meisner Ave. Finally, GO 4 Junk Removal will be on the right.